Are you trying to watch Netflix on Verizon Fios but the widget isn’t working or Netflix isn’t loading?
The issue is not unique to Fios TV users, as there are numerous Fios TV users who struggle with it and I was one of them in the past.
When Netflix stops working on Fios TV, there are basically two types of issues that can be linked together.
In one case, it does not get launched from its widget, and in the other case, every time you launch the Netflix channel, you get a spinning circle for a while, and then the error message is as follows:
“Couldn’t connect to Netflix. Please try again or restart your home network and a streaming device. For more information, visit netflix.com/nethelp.
There is the possibility that you might not get this exact error message, but instead, you might receive a message telling you to “try again later”, indicating that the widget couldn’t be loaded.
With this guide, you will be able to fix all Netflix-related issues or error messages that Fios TV users face when using Netflix on their TVs.
I have encountered these issues myself and have resolved them after taking the time to investigate and read various support forums and spend hours contacting Fios tech support.
My guide includes all the detailed solutions and discussions where others have shared their experiences, so by the end you should be able to get Netflix working normally on Fios TV.
Table of Contents
Can I Watch Netflix On My Fios TV?
While I’m assuming you are using Netflix to watch the show when you encountered issues with it loading on Fios TV, if you’re new to Fios and using Netflix for the first time, you’ll need to know some things.
To begin with, you need to know if you can stream Netflix on your Fios TV if it’s compatible with your plan, and who can access it.
It is only possible to watch Netflix on FiOS Quantum TV Equipment (VMS/IPC). These are generally available with Enhanced Multi-Room DVR and Premium Multiroom DVR subscriptions.
How does Netflix work on Fios TV?
The following are the requirements for watching Netflix shows and movies on your Fios TV Box:
- Netflix subscription
- Internet service through Fios
- Set-top boxes that feature multi-room DVR enhanced or premium services for Fios TV
Accessing Netflix on Fios TV can be done in three ways:
- Tuning in to channel 838
- Use the left/right arrow keys on your FiOS remote to navigate to the Netflix widget and press OK.
- On the main menu, choose on demand, then select Netflix.
You can upgrade if you do not have Fios TV Multi-Room DVR Enhanced or Premium service
If you do not already have a Netflix subscription, you can sign up through the Netflix channel on Fios TV, or sign in using your existing Netflix credentials.
As long as all the above items are checked, you are good to go. Now let’s look at what can cause Netflix loading problems for Fios TV users.
Why Is Netflix Not Loading On My Fios TV?
There are several reasons why Netflix does not load on Fios TV, including network issues, corrupted app data, a poor wireless connection, etc.
In some cases, the problem could be caused by an outdated Netflix app, a faulty Fios firmware, or a temporary configuration glitch.
Moreover, There’s a chance Netflix won’t work on Fios TV if other settings conflict with it, or if required data isn’t properly synced.
Here are the different reasons for Netflix issues on Fios TV:
- Unstable internet connection
- Outdated application
- Temporary system settings glitch
- Corrupted stored data
- Faulty Fios box, etc.
In some cases, when updating VMS1100/IPC1100, the Netflix widget may fail to install and cause a “widget load error”.
As long as you follow the correct troubleshooting process, most problems can be sorted at home without contacting online support.
Now that we know the possible causes, let’s figure out how to fix the Netflix widget and its loading issue on your Fios TV.
What To Do When Netflix Stops Loading On Fios TV?
You need to start with basic troubleshooting if Netflix isn’t working on your Fios TV, whether it’s a Widget issue, loading issue or it keeps cutting off.
According to Fios TV users, cold rebooting the Fios box often resolves Netflix not loading issues since it cleans up half synced or corrupted connection data between Netflix and Fios TV.
There are different solutions aligned so you don’t have to spend a lot of time researching much and can resolve the issue quickly, but be careful not to miss any steps and perform them carefully.
Replug Fios Boxes and Router
In most cases, minor glitches affecting the Netflix widget on your Fios TV, or Netflix itself not loading issues, can be resolved by simply rebooting all the equipment.
That’s right, just reboot your device, as this will clear any half-synchronized or glitched settings.
The following steps need to be taken:
- Remove all power cables
- Wait for 2-3 minutes
- Plug them back
- Turn on the TV and launch Netflix.
The following is a detailed description of how to reboot:
- First, Reboot the router
- On the G1100, press and hold the WPS button on the front for at least 12 seconds
- For the MI424WR: Sometimes unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in (without waiting any time) works better than using the On/Off switch.
- Secondly, Reboot the STB
- On your FiOS remote, press Menu
- Press OK after you have navigated to Customer Support
- Press OK after selecting Top Support Tools
- Press OK, then select Reboot STB (you will need to scroll down to see it).
In the event that rebooting the box does not solve the problem, which is possible since there could be other conflicting settings on your Fios TV, then you will need to reset the Netflix settings.
- Select settings from the menu,
- Navigate to the system information and press the info button
- You’ll then see the option to reset Netflix on the second page. Just click “Ok” to do so.
Most likely, after rebooting, replugging, and resetting Netflix on your Fios TV, the issue will be resolved. However, if it still doesn’t work, you’ll need to perform advanced troubleshooting.
Local Cold INIT
As a last resort, you can perform a Local Cold Init, which is similar to factory resetting the overall setup if none of the above steps work.
In the case of an issue with my Fios TV and I contact support, they assist me in performing a local Cold INIT reset.
Fortunately, you can correct this problem without Verizon Tech Support assistance by performing a “Local Cold Init”.
Important: During a Local Cold Init, some settings will be reset on the set-top box (including favorites, parental controls, and other settings). However, your recordings and scheduled recordings will remain unaffected (they are protected).
Note: The VMS will be taken back through the activation process where all the files necessary to boot will be installed, including Netflix widget files.
In this case, you should only perform this operation if you have tried everything else and it hasn’t worked.
- Disconnect the power cable from the STB’s back
- Press your remote’s Menu button repeatedly and quickly while plugging the power cable back into the STB.
Note: If you do not see “RUN” on the STB display, go back to step 1 (Unplug the box) and try again.
- After that, On the FiOS remote, press the Down arrow until the word “COLD” appears.
- Start the process by pressing OK.
- It may take up to 15 minutes before you can watch live television, even if the screen says otherwise.
The final stage of the Local Cold Init Process
- Scroll down the list until you see the name of the room the box is in and click OK.
- In this step, the VMS/IPC asks if you want to import settings (I personally recommend skipping the settings import.)
- Press OK after selecting an option, or use the arrow keys to skip
- After pressing OK, the box can take some time to continue, so please be patient
- You will need to repeat the same steps for each of the affected IPCs once all of the VMS boxes are working
Certainly, it is a long process, but it will not only fix Netflix issues on your Fios TV, but also any other problems you may be experiencing.
Having Netflix not load on your Fios TV or having its widget not work on Fios TV is quite a common issue that a large number of Fios TV users have reported and encountered.
It is my hope that you will be able to solve this problem with the help of the above guide. If you have any questions or problems with any of the steps, please drop them in the comments below, and I shall get back to you as soon as possible.
As a quick recap, here’s what you need to do if Netflix stops working on your Fios TV:
- Replug all cable connections.
- Cold Reboot all connected devices.
- Reset Neftlix on your Fios TV.
- Perform Local Cold INIT process to factory reset Fios TV.
Was this post helpful?
Kazhiko Kuro is the Founder of StreamingStash.com. Over a span of 8+ years, He has tested, researched, and written hundreds of articles and guides on how to fix common issues with TVs, streaming media players, streaming services, and related devices. See our Editorial Guidelines and Content Integrity.