Are you puzzled by a black screen on your Sky Q box, with sound, but no picture? Do you know what went wrong and how to fix it?
Well, screen going black on Sky Q box is a common issue that occurs due to minor glitches or incorrect configuration, numerous Sky Q users do experience this issue frequently and in this guide, I will explain to you why it happens and what you can do to fix it.
So if you are wondering, Why is my Sky Q box on but I have no picture? How do I get rid of the black screen on my Sky Q?
There are many reasons that can cause the sky q box to encounter a black screen issue. Some common causes include signal-related issues, app update issues, using an unsupported device, and similar others.
No one likes a black screen on the TV. And there is nothing worse than having to call your provider and trying to explain the problem. Let’s get started and move to why it happens and what needs to be done to get it solved.
Table of Contents
Why Does My Sky Q Box Screen Goes Black?
Encountering a black screen while watching your favorite series or sport can be annoying.
To ensure that you keep on enjoying your viewing experience, I’ve compiled a few of the most probable reasons for your sky q box to encounter this issue. I have compiled the list while I was troubleshooting the issue when the screen went black on my Sky Q box.
Here’s the list of common reasons which lead to black screen on Sky Q:
- An outage has occurred on the Sky network.
- A weather condition can prevent Sky Q from receiving a signal and causing a black screen.
- There is a possibility that your Sky Go app is corrupted and needs to be re-installed on your mobile device.
- The Sky Q box needs to be reset because its settings have been corrupted.
According to numerous Sky Q users, this issue is not specific to any particular model and can occur on any Sky Q box, be it Sky Q Mini, Sky Q HD, Sky Q Netflix, etc.
Mostly, it has been reported by Sky Q users with Netflix or using Sky Q Box on LG, Samsung, or other Smart TVs.
It is not a major hardware fault with Sky Q, and it can be fixed very easily. Since we know possible reasons through which this can happen, let’s jump straight to the troubleshooting part.
How To Fix Black Screen Issue on Sky Q?
Whether you are using Sky Q on a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, or have a Sky Q box and watch it directly on your TV, the root cause of a blank or black screen with or without sound is the same and the same troubleshooting steps work across all your devices.
Now without further ado, here are the methods you can use one by one to get it working again:
Check Sky Outage
If you’re getting a black screen with no signal message, apart from checking your cables, ensure that the Sky service is not down, as this may also lead to the Black Screen with No Signal message on your Sky Q Box and App.
While the server is not showing any outages and appears to be in good condition, a temporary glitch can result in your screen going black on your Sky Q. In that case, you need to reboot your devices to remove any temporary glitch.
If you are facing an issue on mobile:
- Reboot your mobile device and launch the Sky Go App again.
If you are getting a black screen on the TV while using Sky Q Box, do a complete reboot of your TV as well as the Sky Q box.
As Sky Go may be working properly on your mobile device, there may be a problem with your Sky Q box.
Here’s how you can reboot your Sky Q Box:
- Turn off the sky q box with the remote.
- Unplug power cable from source.
- Press the power button on Sky Q for about 20 seconds.
- Plug the cables back and turn on the box.
- Now check if black screen has gone and it’s working fine or not.
Note: You should also perform the same steps with your TV so that we can be sure it’s not a temporary glitch causing the black screen.
Reinstall Sky Go App
If restarting the device does not work, clear the Sky Go app cache on your Android device. Personally, I prefer to reinstall the application rather than simply clearing the cache, because it ensures that all data has been cleared and the latest version is installed.
Here’s how to do it:
- Navigate to settings and then apps section on your mobile (iPhone or Android).
- Delete or uninstall the app.
- Navigate to the App store or Play store depending on your mobile and install the Sky Go app.
Quick Tip: By holding the Sky Go icon until a popup appears, you can uninstall the app directly from the main screen.
Reset Sky Q Box Hard Drive
Do you still have the black screen on the Sky Q issue when using the Sky Go app and have tried all the troubleshooting steps above? If so, you may have to reset your Sky Q box to fix it.
Here’s how to reset Sky Q Hard Drive:
- First, the Sky remote should be held down for a few seconds.
- Go to the instruction menu and select Settings.
- When you see a Select option, press 0 twice and 1 until you see the Reset option.
- Select Reset in the next popup box, and then select Reset Hard Drive
- If any message appears, accept it, wait for the instructions to disappear, and then press the Standby button on the Sky Q box.
- Finally, use the Sky Q box instead of the remote control to turn on the device
Once you’ve completed the hard drive reset process, adjust all settings on your Sky Q box since it can wipe your files, previous purchases, and stored content.
Hard Reset Sky Q Box
Ultimately, if you have attempted a soft reset and a hard drive reset and your Sky Q box still displays a black screen, you need to do a factory reset on it.
- On the Sky Q remote, hold down the home button for a few seconds.
- From the onscreen instructions, select Settings.
- Press 0,0, and 1 to access the reset menu, just as you would for a hard drive reset.
- When the instruction menu appears, select Reset from the list.
- Choose Factory Reset from the next menu.
- Once you’ve accepted the warning message, press Select again to begin the reset process.
- Allow the factory reset process to complete automatically.
- Instead of pressing the Standby button on the remote, press the Standby button on the front of your Sky Q box.
- Lastly, Test all settings, including audio/video, WIFI, and resolutions, after the factory reset is complete.
If you do not have the Sky Q Remote, you can manually hard reset the Sky Q box by following the below steps:
- Make sure your Sky Q box is unplugged from the mains.
- Your Sky Q box includes a Reset button on the back. Locate and press that button.
- Press the Standby button on the box if the light is flashing ahead of the Q box.
- Once the reset process has been completed, the Sky Q box will restart once more.
That’s all now, your black screen issue has been fixed and you can confirm that by playing something on your device.
Wrapping It Up
It can be a pain to get a black screen or blank screen with or without sound on Sky Q, but since this is a fairly common problem, which happens because of the reasons mentioned above, I hope you will be able to fix it by following this guide.
As a quick recap, here’s what you need to do to resolve the black screen issue:
- Check Outage
- Reboot All Devices
- Reinstall Sky App
- Reset Sky Q Hard Drive
- Hard Reset Sky Q Box
Was this post helpful?
Kazhiko Kuro is the Founder of StreamingStash.com. Over a span of 8+ years, He has tested, researched, and written hundreds of articles and guides on how to fix common issues with TVs, streaming media players, streaming services, and related devices. See our Editorial Guidelines and Content Integrity.